Since this is my first year going to BEA, and given that I’m still relatively new to this book blogging world, I thought I would give everyone a little bit more info about me. Not to take away from April’s kick ass introduction that she made when I agreed to be her co-blogger (http://www.goodbooksandgoodwine.com/2012/02/welcome-to-the-books-and-wine-team-allison.html) but, I wanted to give everyone a more personal idea of who I am. Maybe it’ll give you something to stop and talk to me about if you see me at BEA. Anyway, without further ado, here is the getting to know Allison pre-BEA 2012 edition!
- I have been through six years of college since I graduated high school in 2005. I have an Associate of the Arts degree in liberal arts: social sciences & humanities; a Bachelor of Science degree in psychology; and a Master of Science degree in women’s studies. I’m still working on figuring out exactly what I want to do with my life but, currently I’m taking a very much needed break from school.
- I currently live at home with my mom and younger brother in order to help save money and work on paying back my student loans. We’re a pretty tight knit family. We have to be considering the things that we’ve been through. One of the biggest being the fact that my dad passed away June 20th, 2008 after complications from major back surgery. It’s still hard not having him here but I know that he’s always with me wherever I go.
- I currently work at adult care home for the elderly. I’ve been working there since the summer of 2008, and even with all the behind the scenes drama and crazy work hours, I truly do enjoy my job. For me, it all becomes worth it when one of our residents comes up to me, takes my hand, or gives me a hug, and says thank you.
- I am a feminist meaning that I think women, men, and transgender people should have equality. This is one of the reasons that I decided to get my master’s degree in women’s studies. I learned so much while I was in graduate school and I’m doing my best not to forget any of it and trying to continue my feminist education even if I’m currently out of school.
- What do I like to read? Usually I find myself reading historical fiction, historical romance, fantasy, young adult books, or biographies. I’m always open for suggestions as to what I should pick up to read!
- My favorite band is Bon Jovi. I saw them for the first time in 2011 in Philadelphia, PA and it was amazing. Literally, it was something I had always wanted to be able to do, and it is something that I will never be able to forget. They always manage to put me into a better mood.
- I heart Broadway. I’m one of those people who get ridiculously excited for the Tony Awards even if I don’t have any idea who is nominated. Admittedly, one of things that I am looking forward to by being in NYC is being near Broadway again. I’m especially excited to go see Newsies with April and Tara!
- I love The Office and Grey’s Anatomy but I haven’t seen much of the newer seasons. I did however watch the final season of One Tree Hill and I may have cried at several different points. I couldn’t help it. I did a lot of growing up with that show! But, the show that will always have the biggest influence on me? Boy Meets World.
- I like to pretend that I’m really good at video games. In reality, I’m truly awful but, I have fun pretending to be good. Actually, I have a lot of fun playing them even if I am bad. Although sometimes people don’t like playing on teams with me because they know that we’d have a very slim chance of actually winning.
- I’ve never been outside the east coast, and the furthest that I’ve been away from home in Upstate New York is Florida but still, I really want to travel one day. Locations are still being determined but I have a feeling they will include Europe, Australia, and a tropical island or two.
Well, I hope this gives you a little bit more background on me. I’m really excited for BEA! I look forward to meeting all of you that are going to be there soon. Until then, feel free to catch me on twitter @bookishfeminist!