This week is a freebie, so I thought I would go with:
Top Ten Reasons I Read!
1. To learn things — just because I am finished with school doesn’t mean I need to stop discovering and gaining knowledge and books totally do that.
2. If I am ever on Cash Cab or Jeopardy, I will likely do very well because of the obscure bits of trivia I have picked up from books.
3. Empathy – I lead a very cushy life, I am not rich or anything BUT my life and trouble is nothing compared to someone with a meth addiction or someone living in a war zone. Reading about these people makes me more compassionate because I have more knowledge about their situation.
4. I am a huge fan of swooning. Friends, there’s nothing like a romance to put me in a happy mood. Seriously? Who doesn’t like debating why they are team Adrian or Team Dmitri? Well, some people I guess, but me, I LOVE THAT.
5. I like big words. Dude, apparently reading makes your vocabulary awesome and because of books, I aced the vocabulary section of the SATs. Plus I totally understand what people are saying when they use giant words.
6. Escapism. Some days are really crappy and everything goes wrong, and to be honest there’s nothing quite like the comfort of Prince Edward Island or Hogwarts and a nice glass of wine.
7. Patience in long lines and waiting for appointments – I could screw around on my phone texting while I am waiting for things, but I find that whipping out my kindle keeps me in a kinder mood as I am stuck in a line.
8. To travel – sigh, I never go anywhere cool in real life but when I am reading a book I go to Chile, to Australia, to an American Boarding School in Paris, to Narnia, the possibilities are endless with a library card.
9. To increase my sex appeal. Seriously, nothing is more attractive than a smart, good looking person who reads books. And I can tell you that it works 😉
10. Reading forges bonds and creates friendships. Frankly, I would have nothing interesting to talk about if I didn’t read, like ew would I talk about my nails or hair? F that. Instead, I connect with people over how much I want to be like Atticus Finch when I grow up or over theories for the Bloodlines series or debating which Weasley twin is the best (Fred FTW!).