Hosted by the fabulous Jamie at The Perpetual Page Turner
Best In Books 2012
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
I feel like I have to cheat on this question. There are so many good books that I read this year. Here are some of my favorites:
–Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught
–Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard
–The Fault in our Stars by John Green
–Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr
–Across The Universe by Beth Revis
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber had so much potential for me but fell very flat which was disappointing.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught surprised me because I didn’t expect to love the book as much as I did. I also didn’t expect to still be talking about it months later like I am.
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Freaks Like Us by Susan Vaught for sure. I feel that it has been so overlooked. I want as many people as possible to check it out. Also, Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard, and The Fault in our Stars by John Green.
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
The Harry Potter series. Obviously I was a little late on the uptake but it was definitely more than worth it to finally check out. Also, The Hunger Games series as well which I also can’t believe I waited till 2012 to finally check out.
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
So many! Susan Vaught, John Green, Melissa Marr, Kirsten Hubbard, Kristin Cashore, Laini Taylor, Juliet Marillier, Beth Revis, Gina Rosati, and Tammara Webber. And I feel like I’m forgetting to name someone…
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Across The Universe by Beth Revis! Not usually a sci-fi reader but I LOVED this book, and am very excited to continue the series.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
The Fault in our Stars by John Green because even though it was killing my emotions, it was so hard to put down. I had to know what happened next!
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Hmm. I’ll most likely re-read Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard again to rediscover the desire for wanderlust and traveling.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
I loved the cover of Auracle by Gina Rosati. It’s so pretty!
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Jason from Susan Vaught’s Freaks Like Us. Such a compelling character! And for some reason I also couldn’t ignore Tucker from Valkyrie Rising by Ingrid Paulson, or Grant from Tammara Webber’s Between The Lines series. Both are very swoon worthy!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I can’t believe I waited until 2012 to check it out. It’s so haunting, and so beautiful, and is definitely worth the read.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard – I don’t know if it just came at the right time in my life or what but this book made me want to take chances. It made me want to travel, and to see the world in a new light, and to be brave, and to make new friends, and … it’s kind of hard to explain but it really did impact me.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
I have to cheat on this one. Let’s see: The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling, The Hunger Games series by Susanne Collins, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Daughter of the Forrest by Juliet Marillier. It really was a year of discovery for me.
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
This is so hard.
“You got to find your own places. The places you get, girl, the ones that stick in your heart. And if you’re lucky, you find people to share them with.”
—Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
—The Fault in our Stars by John Green
“Together, they would watch everything that was so carefully planned collapse, and they would smile at the beauty of destruction.”
–The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
Longest: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by JK Rowling (804 Pages)
Shortest: Born This Way: Real Stories of Growing Up Gay (128 pages)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
There is a scene in Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein that about made me drop the book. I was NOT expecting it at all. If you’ve read the book I can imagine you know what scene I am talking about. Holy crap!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc)?
I loved the relationship between Katsa and Po in Graceling by Kristin Cashore – it was so swoon worthy – a truly beautifully written relationship. I also enjoyed Ellie and Tucker from Valkyrie Rising. Oh, and a friendship I really enjoyed? Harry, Hermione, and Ron from Harry Potter!
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously?
Beauty Queens by Libba Bray. I LOVE Libba Bray. She never disappoints!
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else?
Practically every book that April has ever recommended to me I have fallen completely in love with. This year she recommended Code Name Verity and Daughter of Smoke & Bone to me both of which I loved. Also, she threatened to disown me if I didn’t read Graceling this year because she knew that I would love it, and she was right.
Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
As a newbie to the book blogging world I’ve discovered quite a few new-to-me blogs. Admittedly April pointed me in the direction of some really awesome blogs that she has been following since she started (you can see most of those on the side bar) but I was also able to find a couple on my own. These include: Alexa Loves Books, Vegan YA Nerds, and Love Is Not A Triangle.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
I love my review of Across the Universe by Beth Revis. I think that it is that review that kinda showed me that I could do this, and that people would actually respond and enjoy it. For me, that is really the review that started it all.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
April really has been the discussion creator this year on the blog so I have to give her so much credit for that. Personally my favorite discussion post that she made this year was the one called Relax, It’s NOT A Competition. Not only did I love what she wrote but the response to the post was absolutely wonderful! Everyone had some really insightful feedback too making even more of a worthwhile discussion.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
I love Jen at Makeshift Bookmark’s new meme series, Book Blogger Woes. The posts are so funny, and everything she talks about is so relatable or understandable even to a new book blogger like myself.
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
This year I was able to attend BEA which was absolutely wonderful. I had such a good time both within the conference as well as hanging out with some awesome bookish people. Oh, and my inner child was flailing as I got to listen to Lois Lowry speak, and got to meet Jane Seymour and Kristi Yamaguchi. AHH! I was also able to attend five Hudson Valley YA Society events at Oblong Books which never fail to be a good time.
6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
BEA was definitely a real highlight for me. Being able to be around all these bookish people, and talking books, and life, and meeting authors that I admire and being able to speak with publishers and just being able to relax and be in an element that I absolutely adored was just…perfect. I’m so glad I was able to attend, and I hope that I will be able to go again next year.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
For me, my most popular post (excluding any memes that I participated in) was my review of Auracle by Gina Rosati which makes me really happy because I adored that book, and Gina Rosati even told me that she was going to print out my review and put it on her refrigerator because she loved it that much.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I have to admit that I wish that my Freaks Like Us review had gotten a little more love. It is another one of my favorite reviews that I wrote this year. And as I mentioned before I feel that the book has been really overlooked which is unfortunate because it is so good.
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Audiobooks while doing house work or walking to/from work. I love being able to be productive, and get some reading done at the same time!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
YES! My reading goal on Goodreads this year was to read 40 books which I not only was able to meet but surpass. At the end of 2012, my reading total will be: 63 books!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
I really want to read The Lord of the Rings trilogy as well as The Hobbit in 2013.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013?
There are so many good sounding books coming out next year that I don’t know what I’m anticipating the most. I guess I’m really anticipating Shades of Earth by Beth Revis because even though I haven’t read A Million Suns yet I’m still excited to see how the trilogy will end. Same thing with the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth.
3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
I want to be able to expand more as a blogger. I want to be able to keep challenging myself with reading and blogging. I think I should also try to adapt sometime of schedule so that I have more of a plan for my reviews. Basically I want to keep on learning and growing as both a reader and a blogger, and I want to keep promoting the name of Good Books and Good Wine to the best of my ability. I really want to keep this fun adventure going!