Prior to BEA 2012, I made myself a little promise. What was this promise? I promised myself that I would finally read the entire Harry Potter series beginning to end before I ended up in NYC. (Yes. I know. How could I have not read them before this? Honestly, I don’t know. I did read the first one when it first came out though!). It took about a month to accomplish this but, I can finally proudly say that I have read all of them, and now I understand the wisdom, the magic, and the fun of JK Rowling.
I’ve decided with this review that I’m simply going to bullet point my main thoughts and reactions so you all get somewhat a firsthand account of what I was going through while reading this series for the first time. I’m also going to try to pair the books up in order to not only spread out the reviews but also as not to make the reviews too long. Sound like a plan? Alright. Here we go:
THERE ARE SOME MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK:
Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone
When a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger for young Harry Potter, it invites him to an incredible place that he has never heard about. It is called Hogwarts and once he is there he finds many unforgettable things – friends, professors, classes, sports, and magic — all of which he is able to enjoy if he is able to survive the greater unknown destiny that is apparently waiting him.
- “It’s all coming back to me now…”
- I want to live in Hogwarts.
- I wonder which house I would be in if I did the sorting hat.
- Harry Potter is the Boy Who Lived, eh? Looking forward to learning more about He-Shall-Not-Be-Named.
- Hermione reminds me of myself, always wanting that extra info on things, always trying to follow the rules, but willing to break them when it comes to friends.
- I adore Ron Weasley.
- As much fun as Quidich sounds, I don’t think I’d be very good at it. Balancing on a broom? Not for me. Watching in the stands? Yes please!
- The mirror sequence made me smile but broke my heart at the same time.
- What is Snape’s deal?
- Harry and Hagrid’s relationship = <3
- I LOVE the imagery of Hogwarts.
- Favorite Quote: “It takes much bravery to stand up to our enemies but we need as much bravery to stand up to our friends.”
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
When a house elf named Dobby arrives with a warning for Harry that if he returns to Hogwarts disaster will surely strike, he knows it is going to be an interesting school year. Of course, interesting may be an understatement. In his second year of school Harry encounters more adventure and more magic than he could have ever anticipated. Luckily for him, he has his two best friend Ron and Hermione by his side!
- Year 2? Bring it on!
- Those Dursley’s are truly awful people.
- Team Weasley.
- Flying car with expandable seats? Yes, please. Just work out the kinks first!
- Love Hermione always looking for answers in books. Bookworms for the win!
- Hagrid is such a softy when it comes to animals.
- Man. What is Snape’s problem?
- He-Who-Shall-Not-Be –Named is CREEPY! Especially as Tom Riddle and the journal.
- I know I’m supposed to loath the Malfoy family but, I can’t help feeling sorry for Draco, especially with a father like that.
- Prof. Lockhart reminded me of a few college professors I had (idiot).
- Aww. Ginny has a crush on Harry. Too cute!
- Dobby is such a Harry Potter cheerleader.
- I hate snakes.
- I LOVE the magic and mythology of Hogwarts.
- Dumbledore is boss.
- Favorite Quote: “it’s our choices, Harry that show what we truly are far more than our abilities…”
As you can probably tell from my all over the place notes, I loved books one and two in the Harry Potter series. I am still questioning why I did not read them sooner. Everyone always told me that I would love them and I did. J.K. Rowling is a truly gifted author and I am amazed at her ability to write compelling and authentic magical fantasy with characters that I actually care about. Even the characters that I hated on, I wanted to know what was going to happen them or why they were acting the way they were acting! I must give her major props for that. Also, for creating a world such as Hogwarts, I give her MAJOR props.
I love Hogwarts.
Until next time where I review books 3 (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban) and 4 (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)…