Being a day late and dollar short is essentially the story of my life and y’all, I am totally a day late with those post for the FAIREST blog tour. My apologies. A few years ago, I got to go see Marissa Meyer on tour at Oblong Books along with her editor and publisher. However, because I am the biggest procrastinator, I never did a recap. Instead, pictures from the book event and notes from it sat on my phone and notebook for years. UNTIL TODAY.So, belatedly, check this recap out!
- Marissa is a fast first drafter – her first draft of one of her books took her two weeks to write and then revising took her two years.
- She sent Cinder into Feiwel on a Friday, the offer came in on Monday.
- She wrote drafts of the first three Lunar Chronicles books whileáCinder was on submission. Things changed constantly in those drafts, however the general story arcs stayed static.
- The series is inspired by Sailor Moon. Her favorite scout is Sailor Jupiter. She is most like Usagi.
- Marissa loved that Sailor Moon is built around 5 girls and their awesome friendships and how awesome they are.
- She is also influnenced by Firefly.
- She took a break from the Lunar Chronicles during Nanowrimo a few years ago and wrote a fantasy.
- She never gets writer’s block and rarely comes to a point where she doesn’t know where to go next.
- Marissa has the most fun writing revisions.
- Kiss Marry Kill: Kai, Thorne, Wolfe: Kiss – Kai (I have a note about gossip and no idea why that’s there). Marry – Wolf because he’s loyal to a fault, would make a great husband if given the chance. Kill -Thorne.
- Her advice for young writers: Write and read as much as you can. Don’t get caught up in the stereotype of depressed writers and artists.
Jean Feiwel (publisher):
- Acquires books to go on her list –> shapes books and works with marketing etc on how they find readers. She mentioned that publishers have the challenge to capture readers.
- She adored the submission of Cinder from the get go and she got the entire team excited about it.
- The Flat Iron building had Cinder in the windows.
- Cinder is not a concept or story spread thing – instead each book has a unique starring character.
- She mentioned that Marissa is extremely productive but also on endless tour.
- She mentions that the art director has visions when it comes to covers -> what would be emotionally and visually attractive. The covers are not so literate. Cover design is a very ardous and difficult process. They spend a lot of time on covers because they are the face of the book.
- Feiwel and Friends only published books that they are personally compelled by. They are kid friendly. They want books that will connect with readers directly.
- Jean’s advice for young writers: reading and reading and reading.
- As the editor, she is the content person.
- She works with the author with everything that is on the page, helping content to turn into a book.
- Whatever is submitted by Marissa is polished and then the editor, herself, polishes it to a shine.
- She is a huge fan ofáThe One And Only Ivan.
- Her advice for young writers is to be soaked in books.
-Become a fan of the Lunar Chronicles on Tumblr, where you can access Marissaĺs tour schedule, wallpaper, the first page of Fairest, and more!
The Lunar Chronicles Blog Tour Schedule
Monday January 5
Tuesday January 6
Wednesday January 7
Thursday January 8
Friday January 9
Monday January 12
Tuesday January 13
Wednesday January 14
Thursday January 15
Friday January 16
Monday January 19
Tuesday January 20
Wednesday January 21
Thursday January 22
Friday January 23