I thought it might be time to share the secrets of maximum library sale haulage with teh interwebz. It seems every other week I have a massive haul of books In My Mailbox, this is due to living in close proximity to at least 10 libraries, although I typically hit up my hometown book sales (45 miles away) the most.
- Arrive early. If you get there too lately, the books will already have been picked over and you won’t get first dibs.
- Pack cash. Most of the sales I have been to only accept cash. I typically bring $40 with me, however, it may vary for you.
- Wear comfortable shoes. Although you can take someone out with the spike of a high heel, it’s not very conducive to carrying around books.
- Bring a partner. Preferably someone who likes books just as much as you do, or a very close friend/family member/partner, someone who won’t complain at you spending FOREVER browsing books. A partner can help you find books, as they provide an extra set of eyes. Bonus if the person is physically stronger than you.
- Look through everything. I’ve often found gems hidden among the romance books, by browsing past the Danielle Steeles, I have uncovered a Lois Lowry. (This is not meant to knock romance novels, I just tend to look for other genres at library book sales)
- Leave good karma. I tend to give a little extra money than what they charge me, because I know it benefits the library. I think this has gone a long way for me, because as you all consistently see, I have great karma at library book sales.