I am absolutely one of those people that cannot resist holiday films — especially those that appear on the Hallmark Channel occasionally. Thus, when I was offered a review copy of ANGELS SING I had to jump on that pretty much immediately. So, when Josh and I had a spare moment, we ordered up some pizza, uncorked some wine and had date night at home and watched Angels Sing.
What’s it about? From the back of the Angels Sing DVD:
“As a child, Michael Walker wished every day could be Christmas. That is, until a tragic accident crushed his holiday spirit. Thirty years later, Michael still can’t muster any joy for the holidays, despite encouragement from his playful wife and well-intentioned parents. But when his young son faces a tragedy, Michael needs to make amends with his past. A mysterious man named Nick gives Michael a gift and instills in him the courage to find the joy that he lost.”
10 Thoughts I Had While Watching ANGELS SING:
- Basically Harry Connick Jr.’s character is the worst. I mean, he promises his kid that if he makes a basketball shot, they will have a big Christmas, and then essentially ends up lying to his kid because he has unresolved issues about Christmas and a tragedy that happened a long time ago. These are issues that could be helped with therapy and then he would not be the one to bring down his family’s Christmas cheer.
- Oh, and Harry Connick Jr.’s character is lucky enough to be married to Tami Taylor. I mean, Connie Britton’s character. She is pretty much the best mom and so supportive and wonderful. As always, Connie Britton shines in every role she is in. AND HAS PERFECT HAIR.
- Josh and I argued throughout the duration of Angels Sing as to whether Willie Nelson’s character, Nick, is an angel or Santa Claus. I say angel and Josh says Santa — but you guys Willie Nelson sings and I am pretty sure that’s the voice of an angel who has seen some interesting things and yo, this movie is not called SANTA SING(s). I am still very invested in this debate, to be honest.
- LYLE LOVETT IS THE KING OF CHRISTMAS. Really, though.
- I wish my neighbors would knock on my door and sing me songs and give me Christmas decorations. HCJ YOU ARE LIVING THE ACTUAL DREAM — no need to be a stick in the proverbial mud.
- HCJ’s family is so great! His sisters are whacky and awesome and musical, of course.
- I love all of the music in this movie. GIVE ME ALL THE WILLIE NELSON CHRISTMAS SONGS PLEASE.
- Oh, yeah, there’s a small child in this movie. He is actually not annoying.
- This movie is actually high caliber for a Hallmark channel movie.
- I AM ACTUALLY GOING TO WATCH THIS AGAIN, WHO AM I RIGHT NOW?
So, despite the cover that proudly proclaims – From the Producer of SPY KIDS and the abysmal Rotten Tomatoes rating, I actually quite liked Angels Sing. It’s a decent movie for the whole family and not so sentimental and syrupy false that it rings untrue. There’s so much music and Willie Nelson is, indeed, an angel (at least I am pretty sure he is). Give this movie a shot. It is wicked cheap — going right now for $7.50 at Amazon for the DVD and $7.99 at Wal-Mart (I saw it there last weekend while buying Christmas themed fleece lined leggings, don’t judge my life).