I am so excited to welcome one of my favorite up and coming authors here to Good Books & Good Wine today — Lish McBride. She’s author of the Hold Me Closer, Necromancer series as well as Firebug. Her books are hilarious, creative, and criminally underread. With that, Lish is here to talk the playlist for Firebug.
It’s much harder to create a playlist for Ava—the Sam books were easy. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer and Necromancing the Stone are both set in Seattle, which has a music scene that I’m much more familiar with. Sam is also a bit of a music nerd. Music is just more of a part of those books, which is why I chose not to do the song-based chapter titles for Firebug. So coming up with a playlist…well, it’s harder than it sounds. The people I know in Maine like a tune with a good beat to dance to, so I compiled this with that (somewhat) in mind. Here we go:
- Firebug by JD McPherson – I feel like this one is self-explanatory as to why it is included. That being said, I wouldn’t include it if I didn’t like the song. Which is why the song Firestarter by Prodigy is not on here.
- Bust Your Kneecaps by Pomplamoose – this song always makes me think of Ava. It’s a song about a girl and her boyfriend Johnny who has mistakenly upset her family…and you don’t mess with the family.
- 1200 Miles by Shovels and Rope – there’s a specific line in this song that makes me think of Ava. I was going to actually include it in the book (or maybe it was the second book?) and I can’t remember if I managed to or not. The line is, “I woke up feeling like damaged goods.” And I think Ava (and her team) feel that way a lot.
- Great Balls of Fire by Jerry Lee Lewis – this song is a bit of a given, too.
- Cherry Bomb by the Runaways – like many of you, my household has been enjoying the soundtrack to Guardians of the Galaxy. (And growing up, I have to say I always thought Joan Jett was really cool. Okay, I still do. ) Again, this song has a single line that stuck out to me, and this one is for Ezra: I’m the fox you’ve been waiting for.
- What Does the Fox Say? by Ylvis – Okay, I’m going to be honest—I’m only including this song because when I was editing I kept thinking about how much this song would annoy Ezra, which means Ava and Lock probably sang it all the time.
- I’d Rather Be Burned as a Witch – Earth Kitt (Rene Marie does a great cover of this). This song is funny and saucy and it would appeal to Ava greatly.
- Fire by Arthur Brown – again, self-explanatory.
- Fire Woman by The Cult – for obvious reasons.
- Burning Love by Elvis Presley – This is actually a cover song (Elvis didn’t do it first) but it tends to be the version everyone knows.
- Evil Woman by Electric Light Orchestra – this one is for Venus.
There you go, my Firebug playlist. Hope you enjoy.
Thanks to Macmillan, I have a hardcover copy of Firebug to give away to one lucky winner. US/Canada only. Must be 13 or older. I will never sell your information.
- -Read an excerpt of Firebug now!
- -Download the first five chapters of Firebug for free!
- -Follow Lish McBride on Twitter!
- -Become a fan on Facebook!
- -Check out her website!
Follow The Whole Tour:
Monday September 15
Tuesday September 16
Thursday September 18
Friday September 19
Monday September 22
Tuesday September 23
Wednesday September 24
Thursday September 25
Friday September 26