You guys, in my effort to declutter, I realized that I had a pile of six signed books that I NEVER gave away. How nuts is that? And I have three pages of notes from the tour stop at Oblong Books sitting in my notebook and several photos hanging out on my phone. About a year ago, I went to signing featuring Bloomsbury authors Robin Benway, Yelena Black, and Megan Miranda. Y’all, the signing was really cool and totally worth the drive. Because I am lazy, this post is literally going to be me typing up my notes and posting some photos in between. When you get to the very bottom you will see a contest for six signed books and know that it is US only because I am not rich and can’t afford shipping outside the US, sorry.
Here Are Some Things I Learned From The Triple Threat Tour:
- Also Known As was inspired by Robin Benway being locked out of a storage unit.
- Robin Benway narrated the audiobook for Also Known As.
- Dance Of Shadows came from Rite Of Spring by Stravinsky. The song wasn’t received well — which inspired Black to ask what if music and dance had the ability to possess people?
- Megan Miranda went to a boarding school. She sent out a lot of interesting fact checking emails and did research on psychosomatic conditions.
- Megan Miranda got a degree in biology, became a high school teacher, two years later had kids. Husband goes “when are you going to write book of yours?” So, she wrote the book from 7pm – 11pm ten years after high school.
- Yelena Black has been writing since she was 5. Parents were all, you should go to med school – -she ended up majoring in English and Creative Writing with an MFA in fiction.
- Robin Benway was always a writer – she would rewrite the day the way it should have gone. She got a degree in sociology, became a book publicist then worked in a book store. She got started by getting rejected by MFA programs. The Realm Of Possibility by David Leviathan blew her away — that’s what inspired her to write YA.
- Megan Miranda – there’s something universal and emotional about YA — she pointed to Looking For Alaska as example.
- Robin Benway loved boycrazy Stacey of The Babysitters Club as a kid.
- Yelena Black liked Kurt Vonnegut and Anne of Green Gables, also Claudia of The Babysitters Club.
- Megan Miranda liked Nancy Drew, Edgar Allen Poe, and Michael Crichton and was a science nerd as a kid.
- Their YA Book Boyfriends: Megan Miranda – Augustus Waters; Robin Benway – James from Audrey, Wait! and Etienne St. Clair; Yelena Black – Sirius Black
- Robin Benway wanted to narrate her own book – she had to submit MP3s of her reading – 3 weeks later, they said yes. The audiobook is published by Brilliance Audio. It took 2.5 days and was so much fun.
- Robin Benway was inspired by Meg Cabot – she was a huge inspiration for Audrey, Wait!
- Megan Miranda was inspired by The Tell Tale Heart – it helped focus the tone of the book.
- Yelena Black was inspired by music and dance. She did ballet when younger. Her favorite ballet is The Nutcracker and Sleeping Beauty.
US Only. 13 Years or Older. I won’t sell your information. Use the rafflecopter and good luck!