Raise your hand if you like meeting authors! Raise your hand if you like books! Now, raise it up high if you spend money on books like it is monopoly money and not real money. Please tell me I am not the only one with this problem. Y’all, I took a long drive July 15 downstate to Oblong Books to attend a Cassie Clare, Holly Black and Sarah Rees Brennan signing. It was probably the BIGGEST signing I have ever been to outside of BEA and totally and completely WORTH IT.
So, friends, I thought because I am an awful note taker I would just post the information I gleaned organized by author and bullet point style.
- The ringtone for her husband is Ed Westwick leaving her a message.
- Be very jealous. Audience members got to hear an excerpt from Clockwork Princess.
- In book three, Clockwork Princess events conspire to deprive Will of his clothing.
- Is very excited that movie is happening, but also scary. She will be nervous until cameras are rolling.
- Is a HUGE fan of Robert Downey Jr.
- Influences include: Neil Gaiman, Lord Of The Rings, and The Golden Compass
- Believes that when born a vampire, you do age, but stop at maximum hotness
- In preparation for The Infernal Devices, read a lot of trashy books from the Victorian Hera.
- The Hidden Hand was actually great
- All of the books that Will and Tessa read and talk about, Cassie has actually read them
- 8 months of no books that weren’t Victorian era related.
- Types out ideas – she has an idea folder on her computer and also uses an iPad.
- Currently working on a vampire book. Holly has always loved vampires.
- In the Curse Workers series, a very small percentage of people can do magic – it is illegal and controlled by the mob. Holly loves caper and con as well as old Noir movies. She wanted to do it with fantasy and thought the mob would be an interesting model.
- Stole the name Cassel from one of Cassandra Clare’s friends – and actually met Cassel in real life, which freaked her out.
- Loves this book, The Big Con which outlines all of the big cons.
- She also learned a lot about the psychology of influence
- Influences include: Emma Bull, Neil Gaiman, Charles DeLint, Anne Rice
- Having a critique group lets her be crazier in what she’s going to try
- Has a notebook with actual notes
Sarah Rees Brennan:
- Has a model of one of the houses from Unspoken
- Wants to steal Magnus Bane, or the guy cast for him
- Influences include: Interview With A Vampire, LJ Smith, Jane Austen, Diane Wynne Jones
- Always plays music when she writes
- Listens to Taylor Swift when writing
- Keeps track of ideas by talking about it
- Loves revenge story lines — she wants to do a revenge storyline
As you have read this far, I am all about rewarding effort and reading. Therefore I have an AWESOME contest for you. Note: Prizes provided/paid for by me. I have these books signed for ONE LUCKY Winner: