I’m just going to throw this out there, so please hold your righteous indignation inside, but I’m willing to bet, if you are reading this, you are like me — an Indoors kid. Oh yes, we were the kids picked last in gym class. We got excited when recess was held inside because of rain. There is nothing wrong with being an Indoor kid, but it may leave you with something to be desired in the fitness department.
I’ve noticed plenty of posts with resolutions to get into shape. As someone who has read Cosmo and Glamour religiously and went through a fitness nut phase in college, I thought I would share some obvious tips with you since I am down for getting physical.
1. Water. This should be the most obvi thing EVAR. Guys, soda will make you unhealthy and rot your teeth. Resist it’s delicious and drink water instead. Water will make you less thirsty and pee more. Yay water! This is hard for me, I have to have coffee in the AM or I get a headache. However, as water comes free out of the tap at home and at work, I think of my pocketbook and how much money I save and can subsequently spend on new books.
2. Gym Membership. Get one. No, seriously, it’ll be one of the best things you do for your fitness resolution. I mean, how many of us have treadmills in our house and a home gym? I have one, BUT I hate using it. When I haul my lazy butt to the gym I think, well I am paying $60 a month for this, might as well use it! That, and the machines are so much better than at home. Plus if elderly people can hop on a cardio machine, you bet your bottom dollar I can too!
3. Accountability. We all have real life friends. And if not, we all have twitter friends. Find a friend and force them to hold you accountable. Even if this person just asks you every day, did you go the gym, that counts. Or, if you are keeping a list on your blog of miles you’ve gone, that counts too. I know when my boyfriend asks me if I’ve gone to the gym, and I haven’t I start to feel guilty and wind up going, just because I like to please people. Now, we aren’t all people pleasers. So if you aren’t a people pleaser, get a hardass to be your accountability partner.
4. Audible/audiobooks. Well, you are a book blogger or a very big reader. If not, wtf are you doing here? Anyways, I am willing to bet you’ve heard of audible and you know what audiobooks are. These things help you read AND workout at the same time. If you are rich and banned from the library like me get an audible account, it’s only 14$ a month for an audiobook credit and you can listen on your phone! If you are poor and not banned from your library, did you know you can borrow audiobooks FO FREE. SO borrow those audiobooks and get your butt to the gym.
5. Change it up. Running, while amusing at first gets boring after awhile. So does elliptical. So does ARC climber, etc. If you find yourself getting bored with your workout, do something fun, like play Just Dance or Dance Dance Revolution. Go swimming. Walk your dog around the block. Shovel the driveway. Whatever, just do something different. Otherwise, you’ll lose motivation.
6. Park farther away. This is the wisdom of magazines not me. My lazy ass parks right next to the door, but hey, I guess this one works.
7. Finally, REWARD YOURSELF. Nothing says accomplishment like buying yourself some new books.
*This is not intended to insult, merely to be tongue-in-cheek.
How do you all stay in shape?