Every year I like to make New Years Resolutions. Often, I fail miserably at keeping the resolutions not related to reading, for example I can keep my resolution to read 100 books in a year easily, but don’t do so well at keeping my resolution to work out or eat healthy food. This year, I say screw food and exercise resolutions, instead I will make resolutions I can keep.
In the year 2010, I hereby resolve to:
1. Read at least 175 books. So far in 2009 I’ve read 152 books, and that is with only reading 2 books during the month of January.
2. Review ever single book I read during the year honestly
3. Read all books sent to me for review within one month of the book being sent.
4. Write at least 3 reviews per week.
5. Host Unicorns Week – basically a week of reading Unicorn books and blogging, oh and blogging about the film The Last Unicorn(and it’s awesomely cheesy soundtrack). Hopefully I can get some guest posters on board, maybe do a contest in conjunction. The tentative week for Unicorns Week is February 1-5, 2010. Please email me if you would like to take part — goodbooksandgoodwine(@)gmail.com – just remove the parentheses.
6. Work up the courage to ask bloggers I admire to do a guest post on my blog.
7. Come up with awesome interview questions and actually post more interviews, I attempted this in 2009 but got way too caught up in life.
8. Participate in and complete 3 challenges.
9. Leave 100 comments per week. A large part of blogging is networking and connecting with my fellow bloggers!
10. Pick and mail out contest winners on time!
What are your blogging resolutions for 2009?
Now that this is out of the way, I’d like to mention Bloggiesta!
From the original Bloggiesta 2 post at Maw’s blog: Some of you may be asking what is Bloggiesta? In short, it’s a blogging marathon. A opportunity to cross those nagging items off of your to-do list and improve your blog while in the good company of other awesome bloggers doing the same thing. Break out the nachos, enchiladas, drinks, mariachi music and whack a pinata or two!
What to do during the Bloggiesta?
- Write reviews.
- Write backup posts for a rainy day.
- Write that great post idea from three months back.
- Work on series posts.
- Write guest posts.
- Put out invitations for guest posts.
- Conduct and edit author interviews.
- Create template posts for your future reads (ie: title, images, linking, tags, etc,) so you can open up, write review and post without being bogged down with technicalities
- Clean up your tags, archives, books reviewed list, etc.
- Create a text file (or Google Doc) of cheat sheets (html codes, post url’s, etc)
- Improve your blog template, clean up sidebars, add a favicon, install those plugins that you’ve been meaning to do.
- Any bloggy type housekeeping that you’ve been neglecting.
- Clean up and update your challenge lists. Link up your posts with hosts.
- Make sure all of your social network profiles are up to date. Brand yourself through those profiles with color scheme, images, etc.
- Go get a gravatar.
- Visit the Blogging Tips group on the Book Blogs Ning and find ways to improve your blog.
- Work on any specialized projects that you may have going.
- Clean out and organize your feed reader and blog subscriptions.
- Create an elevator pitch.
- Make business cards.
- Find a blogging buddy.
- The sky’s the limit!